Catching Up! Putney Burial Grounds by Phil Evison based on a Members Meeting talk from January 2016

Event Date: Dec 31, 2017

At the MEMBERS’ MEETING held on Thursday, January 28 2016 Phil Evison told THE STORY OF PUTNEY'S BURIAL GROUNDS.

He has now published a fascinting account of Putney's Burial Grounds based on that talk

Click here to read it! 

 

By the mid-18th Century, St Mary’s Church (rebuilt in 1836) had been the Parish’s only burial place for half a millennium. The total number of burials there is incalculable, but from 1620 to 1763 alone, there were about 8,700 in the churchyard and inside the church. Space became a problem when the approach road to the first bridge, opened in 1729, eroded the churchyard. In 1763 Rev. Roger Mortlock Pettiward offered the Parish a plot of land on Richmond Lane, now Upper Richmond Road. Originally known as the ‘new burying ground’, it was consecrated on 2nd November 1763 by the then Archbishop of Canterbury, Thomas Secker, and is now known as Putney Old Burial Ground (POBG).

Philip Evison has documented the history of POBG, St Mary’s Church and the later burial grounds – Putney Lower Common Cemetery (1855 to 1891) and Putney Vale Cemetery (1891 to present).  

POBG, converted to the present open space in 1963, was the burial place of several local ‘notables’, some of whose tombs remain, including those of explorer and MP Robert Wood, novelist Harriet Thomson and Stratford Canning )uncle of Putney Heath duellist, later PM, George Canning) whose youngest son died at the Battle of Waterloo, whilst aide-de-camp to the Duke of Wellington.

 

Tags: Phil Evison putney burial grounds